Current:Home > InvestCalifornia county that tried to hand-count ballots picks novice to replace retiring elections chief -TradeWisdom
California county that tried to hand-count ballots picks novice to replace retiring elections chief
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 00:42:58
The leaders of a conservative California county that tried to hand-count ballots in response to unfounded claims of fraud have hired a new registrar of voters with no experience running elections.
The Shasta County Board of Supervisors voted 3-2 on Wednesday to give the job to Tom Toller, a former Shasta County prosecutor who told the board he supports hand-counting ballots, which experts have said is an unrealistic task given the tens of thousands of ballots returned in a countywide election that includes dozens of races.
Nestled in the often snow-capped shadow of Mount Shasta, the county made national news in 2023 when the conservative majority on the board of supervisors voted to abruptly get rid of their vote-counting machines and ordered elections officials to count ballots by hand.
The voting machines were made by Dominion Voting Systems, the Canadian-based company at the center of debunked conspiracy theories of why former President Donald Trump lost the 2020 presidential election.
The Democrats who control the state Legislature intervened, passing a law that forbids counties from hand-counting ballots except in narrow circumstances.
Controversy over the voting machines divided the community to the point that some residents tried to recall Supervisor Kevin Crye from office. Crye narrowly survived that recall attempt in a March election that many saw as a referendum on the wisdom of hand-counting ballots.
Toller, who also helped train attorneys and police officers across the state during a stint at the California District Attorneys Association, indicated he would support a lawsuit seeking to overturn the state’s ban on hand-counting ballots, should the county decide to file one.
“I think it’s a system that’s capable of being implemented and observed for transparency and fairness and accurate,” he said. “I don’t see any reason why it can’t go forward.”
The registrar of voters is an elected position. But the former registrar, 20-year veteran Cathy Darling Allen, retired with more than two years left of her term. The Board of Supervisors had to pick a replacement.
More than two dozen people applied for the position. The board interviewed candidates in public over two days this week, followed by a public discussion and vote.
The board chose Toller over Joanna Fransecut, a 16-year veteran of the office who had been Allen’s top deputy. Toller acknowledged his lack of experience, at one point telling the board that what goes on inside the office is “somewhat of a black box to me.”
To prepare, he said he downloaded the California elections code to his phone and has been reading it every night for homework. He said he’s a local with a secure pension who doesn’t need the money and will bring independence to the office.
“I’m a firm believer that just because the Secretary of State of California tells us a statute or regulation must be interpreted in a certain way that that’s not the end of the story,” he said. “I can bring an independent mind to the decisions about the election statues and regulations.”
Crye — who said he would have preferred if voters, not the board, picked the next registrar of voters — said he believed Fransecut was the right person for the job, but said she was “not the right person yet.” He said she would benefit under two years of Toller’s leadership.
Supervisor Mary Rickert criticized her fellow board members for voting to hire Toller, noting his lack of experience.
“Do you want to put someone in who has never run an election before?” she asked Crye at one point during the hearing. “If it fails, it’s going to rest on your shoulders and it’s going to be your fault. Are you going to be able to sleep at night?”
“Like a rock,” Crye responded.
veryGood! (54)
Related
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Natalie Portman Hangs Out With Paul Mescal During London Outing
- Trump, Biden debate will face obstacles in bypassing commission, co-chair predicts
- Mayoral hopeful's murder in Mexico captured on camera — the 23rd candidate killed before the elections
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- In search of new shows this summer? Here's the best TV to add to your list
- French security authorities foil a plan to attack soccer events during the 2024 Paris Olympics
- U.S.-made bomb used in Israeli strike on Rafah that killed dozens, munitions experts say
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Running for U.S. president from prison? Eugene V. Debs did it, a century ago
Ranking
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- The Best Linen Staples for an Easy, Breezy, Beautiful Summer
- The Latest Lululemon We Made Too Much Drops Start at $19, But They're Going Fast
- Executed: Alabama man put to death for murders of elderly couple robbed for $140
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Crews race to restore power across Texas ahead of another round of storms
- Notorious B.I.G.’s Mom Voletta Wallace Says She Wants to “Slap the Daylights” Out of Sean “Diddy” Combs
- Boeing shows feds its plan to fix aircraft safety 4 months after midair blowout
Recommendation
New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
Son of Buc-ee's co-founder indicted after secretly recording people in bathrooms of Texas homes, officials say
Dolly Parton Gives Her Powerful Take on Beyoncé's Country Album
Judge to consider recalling death sentence of man who killed 12-year-old Polly Klaas
Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
Angelina Jolie and Daughter Vivienne Make Red Carpet Appearance Alongside Kristen Bell
Phone and internet outages plague central and eastern Iowa
American Airlines removed Black men from flight after odor complaint, federal lawsuit says