Current:Home > NewsRekubit Exchange:News outlet asks court to dismiss former Mississippi governor’s defamation lawsuit -TradeWisdom
Rekubit Exchange:News outlet asks court to dismiss former Mississippi governor’s defamation lawsuit
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-07 01:48:07
JACKSON,Rekubit Exchange Miss. (AP) — A local news outlet that helped expose a wide-reaching public corruption scandal has filed its defense against a defamation lawsuit brought by former Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant, with the news outlet arguing it engaged in constitutionally protected speech.
In Mississippi Today’s first court filings since Bryant sued the outlet and its CEO in the Circuit Court of Madison County on July 26 for allegedly defaming him in public comments on the misspending of $77 million of federal welfare funds, attorney Henry Laird outlined on Friday 19 legal defenses against the former governor’s claims.
The attorney also requested that the ex-governor’s complaint be dismissed.
“We will vigorously defend this case and ensure the people of Mississippi that the press will not be intimidated,” said Mississippi Today CEO Mary Margaret White in a statement. “We stand for press freedom and will always uphold our mission of building a more informed Mississippi.”
In addition to free speech protections, Mississippi Today’s legal defense is built around New York Times Co. v. Sullivan., a 1964 decision in which the U.S. Supreme Court greatly limited the ability of public officials to sue for defamation. It ruled that news outlets are protected against a libel judgment unless it can be proven that they published with “actual malice” — knowing that something was false or acting with a “reckless disregard” to whether or not it was true.
Bryant’s July 26 lawsuit came just over two months after Mississippi Today and one of its reporters, Anna Wolfe, won a Pulitzer Prize for her coverage of the misspending of welfare funds intended for poor Mississippians that were instead diverted to the rich and powerful.
Prosecutors have said the state’s human services department gave money to nonprofit organizations that spent it on projects such as a $5 million volleyball facility at the University of Southern Mississippi — a project for which retired NFL quarterback Brett Favre agreed to raise money.
Mississippi Auditor Shad White announced in February 2020 that criminal charges were brought against six people, including John Davis, a former Mississippi Department of Human Services executive director who had been chosen by Bryant. The announcement came weeks after Bryant, a Republican, finished his second and final term as governor. Davis and others have pleaded guilty.
Wolfe’s “The Backchannel” series shed light on the embezzlement scheme, winning a Pulitzer in May. An article published on Mississippi Today’s website announcing the honor said the outlet revealed how Bryant “used his office to steer the spending of millions of federal welfare dollars” to “benefit his family and friends.”
That announcement — and an earlier report Mississippi Today published on the impact of its coverage — are the two primary written communications Bryant says are defamatory. Also at the center of his lawsuit are comments White made at a journalism conference that, according to Bryant’s attorney William Quin II, misrepresented Bryant’s connection to the squandered welfare dollars.
In a May 11 letter, Bryant said White made a “false and defamatory” statement about him when, at a journalism conference in February, she said Mississippi Today broke the story that Bryant “embezzled” welfare money. No criminal charges have been filed against Bryant, and he has said he told the auditor in 2019 about possible misspending of money from the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families antipoverty program.
Reached by phone Monday, Quin said Mississippi Today’s response “speaks for itself” and declined to comment further.
In an amended complaint filed on Aug. 24, Quin listed nine unnamed clients from whom he claims Bryant lost almost $500,000 in business due to White’s comments at the Knight Media Forum in February. Bryant joined a private consulting firm shortly after leaving public office.
Mississippi Today published an apology from White in May, a week after Bryant threatened a lawsuit, but his attorneys have said the apology wasn’t specific enough.
Favre also has not been charged with a crime, but the Mississippi Department of Human Services, with a new director, filed a civil lawsuit last year against him, along with more than three dozen other people and businesses, to try to recover more than $20 million of the misspent welfare money.
Among the defendants in that civil suit is Nancy New, an ex-nonprofit head who pleaded guilty in April 2022 to state charges of misusing welfare money.
On Friday, the same day Mississippi Today filed its response to Bryant’s lawsuit, New’s attorneys, Gerald and Carroll Bufkin, filed a motion to quash a subpoena by the former governor. Bryant’s subpoena purports to seek documents relevant to his defamation suit, the Bufkins said.
But as a public figure, Bryant must prove that Mississippi Today and White acted with “actual malice” when they made their allegedly defamatory statements, they argued, referring to the New York Times Co. v. Sullivan legal standard. The former governor “has no legitimate basis” for believing his subpoena could uncover relevant information, they argued.
___
Michael Goldberg is a corps member for the Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on undercovered issues. Follow him at @mikergoldberg.
veryGood! (49598)
Related
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- NTSB chair says new locomotive camera rule is flawed because it excludes freight railroads
- United Nations agencies urge calm in northwest Syria after biggest escalation in attacks since 2019
- Norway activists press on with their protest against wind farm on land used by herders
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Taylor Swift Reacts to Beyoncé's Fairytale Appearance at Star-Studded Eras Tour Film Premiere
- Family Dollar offering refunds after recalling hundreds of consumer products
- IMF and World Bank are urged to boost funding for African nations facing conflict and climate change
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Exclusive: Cable blackout over 24 hours? How an FCC proposal could get you a refund.
Ranking
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- A UN-backed expert will continue scrutinizing human rights in Russia for another year
- Penguins' Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang set record for longevity as teammates
- IMF sees economic growth in the Mideast improving next year. But the Israel-Hamas war poses risks
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- An Israeli jewelry designer described as ‘the softest soul’ has been abducted, her family says
- Sam Bankman-Fried’s lawyer struggles in cross-examination of Caroline Ellison, govt’s key witness
- Sailing vessel that suffered broken mast, killing a passenger, had previous incidents
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
DWTS’ Sasha Farber Shares What He Texted Former Partner Mary Lou Retton in Hospital
Stockholm to ban gasoline and diesel cars from downtown commercial area in 2025
Exclusive: Cable blackout over 24 hours? How an FCC proposal could get you a refund.
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
Taylor Swift 'Eras' movie review: Concert film a thrilling revisit of her live spectacle
New York officer fatally shoots man in fencing mask who charged police with 2 swords, police say
These House Republicans say they won't vote for Steve Scalise as House speaker
Tags
Like
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Police say woman stabbed taxi driver on interstate before injuring two others at the Atlanta airport
- GOP-led House panel: White House employee inspected Biden office where classified papers were found over a year earlier than previously known