Current:Home > FinanceUmpire Ángel Hernández loses again in racial discrimination lawsuit against MLB -TradeWisdom
Umpire Ángel Hernández loses again in racial discrimination lawsuit against MLB
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 22:11:09
NEW YORK (AP) – Umpire Ángel Hernández lost again in his racial discrimination lawsuit against Major League Baseball when a federal appeals court refused to reinstate his case on ÁngelHernáTuesday.
The 2nd Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals upheld a 2021 District Court decision that granted MLB a summary judgment.
The Cuba-born Hernández, hired as a big league umpire in 1993, sued in 2017. He alleged he was discriminated against because he had not been assigned to the World Series since 2005 and had been passed over for crew chief.
“Hernández has failed to establish a statistically significant disparity between the promotion rates of white and minority umpires,” the 2nd Circuit said in an 11-page decision. “MLB has provided persuasive expert evidence demonstrating that, during the years at issue, the difference in crew chief promotion rates between white and minority umpires was not statistically significant. Hernández offers no explanation as to why MLB’s statistical evidence is unreliable.”
The decision was made by Circuit Judges Susan L. Carney and Steven J. Menash, who heard oral arguments on June 8. The court said the third member of the panel, Circuit Judge Rosemary S. Pooler, died last Thursday.
FOLLOW THE MONEY: MLB player salaries and payrolls for every major league team
Hernández claimed then-MLB executive Joe Torre, who made key decisions over umpires, held animosity toward Hernández dating to Torre’s time as New York Yankees manager.
“Hernández has failed to show that the criteria Torre used in making crew chief promotion decisions caused the existing disparity between white and minority crew chiefs,” the panel wrote. “Hernández has made no showing that Torre harbors a bias against racial minorities.”
Nicholas R. Gregg, Hernández’s lawyer, did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment. Hernández could ask the full New York-based 2nd Circuit to rehear the case or for the U.S. Supreme Court to review it.
Hernández, who turns 62 next week, served as an interim crew chief from 2011-16.
Kerwin Danley became the first Black crew chief in 2020 and Alfonso Marquez became the first Hispanic crew chief born outside the United States that same year. Richie Garcia, who was born in Florida, was the first Hispanic crew chief from 1985-89.
Hernández has been controversial on the field at times. He had three calls at first base overturned in video reviews during Game 3 of the 2018 AL Division Series between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox.
veryGood! (728)
Related
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Nadal withdraws from the Australian Open with an injury just one tournament into his comeback
- Prominent Black church in New York sued for gender bias by woman who sought to be its senior pastor
- Supreme Court agrees to hear Colorado case over Trump's 2024 ballot eligibility
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- DeSantis’ State of the State address might be as much for Iowa voters as it is for Floridians
- Pope Francis warns against ideological splits in the Church, says focus on the poor, not ‘theory’
- 3 years to the day after the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, 3 fugitives are arrested in Florida
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Norwegian mass killer attempts to sue the state once more for an alleged breach of human rights
Ranking
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- 11-year-old killed in Iowa school shooting remembered as a joyful boy who loved soccer and singing
- The Perry school shooting creates new questions for Republicans in Iowa’s presidential caucuses
- Steelers safety Minkah Fitzpatrick is inactive against the Ravens with playoff hopes on the line
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Martin Sheen, Dionne Warwick, Andrea Bocelli listed as guests at RFK Jr.'s birthday fundraiser — and none of them are attending
- The son of veteran correspondent is the fifth member of his family killed by Israeli strikes on Gaza
- Supreme Court lets Idaho enforce abortion ban for now and agrees to hear case
Recommendation
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
Christian Oliver's Wife Pays Tribute to Actor and Kids After They're Killed in Plane Crash
Hate crimes reached record levels in 2023. Why 'a perfect storm' could push them higher
Glynis Johns, known for her role as Mrs. Banks in Mary Poppins, dead at 100
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Cameron Diaz Speaks Out After Being Mentioned in Jeffrey Epstein Documents
Hate crimes reached record levels in 2023. Why 'a perfect storm' could push them higher
Track star, convicted killer, now parolee. A timeline of Oscar Pistorius’s life