Current:Home > ContactProsecutors say some erroneous evidence was given jurors at ex-Sen. Bob Menendez’s bribery trial -TradeWisdom
Prosecutors say some erroneous evidence was given jurors at ex-Sen. Bob Menendez’s bribery trial
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 03:23:23
NEW YORK (AP) — Some evidence that a federal judge had excluded from the bribery trial of former New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez was inadvertently put on a computer given to jurors, federal prosecutors revealed Wednesday, though they insisted it should have no effect on the Democrat’s conviction.
The prosecutors told Judge Sidney H. Stein in a letter that they recently discovered the error which caused a laptop computer to contain versions of several trial exhibits that did not contain the full redactions Stein had ordered.
Menendez, 70, resigned from the Senate in August after his July conviction on 16 charges, including bribery, extortion, honest services fraud, obstruction of justice and conspiracy. He was forced to give up his post as chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee after he was charged in the case in fall 2023.
He awaits a sentencing scheduled for Jan. 29 after a trial that featured allegations that he accepted bribes of gold and cash from three New Jersey businessmen and acting as an agent for the Egyptian government. Two businessmen were convicted with him while a third testified against him in a cooperation deal.
His lawyers did not immediately return messages seeking comment.
In their letter, prosecutors said incorrect versions of nine government exhibits were missing some redactions ordered by Stein to ensure that the exhibits did not violate the Constitution’s Speech or Debate Clause, which protects speech relating to information shared by legislators.
Prosecutors told Stein Wednesday that no action was necessary in light of the error for several reasons, including that defense lawyers did not object after they inspected documents on that laptop before it was given to jurors.
They also said there was a “reasonable likelihood” that no jurors saw the erroneously redacted versions of the exhibits and that the documents could not have prejudiced the defendants even if they were seen by jurors, in part because they were of “secondary relevance and cumulative with abundant properly admitted evidence.”
Menendez has indicated he plans to appeal his conviction. He also has filed papers with Stein seeking an acquittal or new trial. Part of the grounds for acquittal he cited was that prosecutors violated his right as a lawmaker to speech and debate.
“The government walked all over the Senator’s constitutionally protected Speech or Debate privilege in an effort to show that he took some official action, when in reality, the evidence showed that he never used the authority of his office to do anything in exchange for a bribe,” his lawyers wrote.
“Despite a 10-week trial, the government offered no actual evidence of an agreement, just speculation masked as inference,” they said.
Menendez was appointed to be a U.S. senator in 2006 when the seat opened up after incumbent Jon Corzine became governor. He was elected outright in 2006 and again in 2012 and 2018.
veryGood! (99385)
Related
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Sofía Vergara Shares Her One Dating Rule After Joe Manganiello Split
- A man is charged with 76 counts of murder in a deadly South African building fire last year
- A separatist rebel leader in Ukraine who called Putin cowardly is sentenced to 4 years in prison
- Small twin
- Rauw Alejandro, Peso Pluma, Maluma headline Sueños 2024, Chicago's Latino music festival
- HP Enterprise discloses hack by suspected state-backed Russian hackers
- Canada’s Tar Sands Are a Much Larger Source of Air Pollution Than Previously Thought, Study Says
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Netflix wants to retire basic ad-free plan in some countries, shareholder letter says
Ranking
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Justin Timberlake will perform a free concert in New York City: How to score tickets
- Florida man clocked driving 199 mph in dad's Camaro, cops say
- Report on sex abuse in Germany’s Protestant Church documents at least 2,225 victims
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Biden revisits decaying Wisconsin bridge to announce $5B for infrastructure in election year pitch
- Jill Biden invites Kate Cox, Texas woman who was denied emergency abortion, to be State of the Union guest
- Japan’s Fukushima nuclear plant further delays removal of melted fuel debris
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Twitter reacts to Jim Harbaugh becoming the next head coach of the LA Chargers
Michigan State Police identify trooper who died after he was struck by a vehicle during traffic stop
Jennifer Grey's Dirty Dancing Memory of Patrick Swayze Will Lift You Up
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
Robitussin cough syrup sold nationwide recalled due to contamination
Housing is now unaffordable for a record half of all U.S. renters, study finds
US applications for jobless benefits rise, but layoffs remain at historically low levels