Current:Home > ContactRussia says forces seize part of key Ukraine town of Chasiv Yar as deadly airstrikes continue -TradeWisdom
Russia says forces seize part of key Ukraine town of Chasiv Yar as deadly airstrikes continue
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 23:18:43
Kyiv — Russia said Wednesday its forces had captured a district in the key hilltop town of Chasiv Yar near Bakhmut in eastern Ukraine, where Moscow has been pressing for months. The claim from Moscow came just after Kyiv said Russian strikes on the industrial city of Dnipro had killed five people and wounded nearly three dozen more, including a 14-year-old girl.
The Russian defense ministry said its troops had "liberated" the Novy district of Chasiv Yar, but it was unclear if it was claiming its forces had crossed a canal which runs through the eastern part of the town.
The capture of Chasiv Yar — a prized military hub once home to some 12,000 people — would pave the way for Russian advances towards the last Ukrainian-controlled civilian centers in the Donetsk region.
Russia's capture of the district was also reported by the DeepState military blog, which has links to the Ukrainian army. It said the area had been flattened by Russian bombardments, and that withdrawing was "a logical, albeit difficult decision."
There was no immediate reaction from officials in Kyiv.
CBS News senior foreign correspondent Charlie D'Agata was in Chasiv Yar in February, for the second time in the space of a few months, and even then he found it ravaged by artillery fire and defended by exhausted Ukrainian troops, who were pleading for help. On one bombed-out building, someone had spray painted a message: "We are not asking too much, we just need artillery shells and aviation — the rest we'll do ourselves."
It was written in English. Ukraine's forces knew exactly who to aim both their dwindling bullets, and their words at.
"We are counting on our American partners to help us with weapons, so that our guys do not have to sacrifice their lives," Reuben Sarukhanian, a soldier with Ukraine's 5th Assault Brigade, told D'Agata at the time.
Since then, the U.S. government has committed more hardware to Ukraine's war effort, including another aid package announced Wednesday by Secretary of State Antony Blinken. Blinken said the $150 million package authorized by President Biden — the seventh since the president signed a massive, long-delayed international aid bill at the end of April — included missiles for air defense systems, artillery rounds, mortars, anti-tank missiles, and a wide range of other weapons and equipment.
Blinken said the supplies would "help strengthen Ukraine's air defenses against Russian attacks and reinforce Ukraine's capabilities across the front lines," and while he provided no specific timeline, he said the U.S. would "move this new assistance as quickly as possible to bolster Ukraine's defense of its territory and its people."
The announcement from Blinken came hours after the Russian attack on Dnipro prompted Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy to call yet again on his Western partners to bolster his country's air defenses and provide more long-range weapons to thwart Russian strikes.
"As of now, five people have been killed. My condolences to the families and friends. Thirty-four people were wounded, including a child," Zelenskyy said in a post on social media.
Russian forces have targeted Dnipro and the surrounding region persistently since they launched their full-scale invasion two and a half years ago.
The regional governor Sergiy Lysak described the attack as "vicious" and said a 14-year-old girl was among those wounded in the attack. Amateur video of the attack published by Ukrainian media showed a huge plume of black smoke rising over the city and drivers speeding from the scene.
Ukraine's air force said its air defense systems had downed six drones and five of seven missiles that had targeting the region, mostly aimed at Dnipro.
"The world can protect lives, and it requires the determination of leaders, determination that can and must make it the norm to protect against terror again," Zelenksyy said in his online post.
Dnipro had a pre-war population of around one million people and lies about 62 miles from the nearest point along the southern front line.
More than 40 people were killed in a Russian strike on Dnipro in January 2023, in one of the worst single aerial bombardments by Russian forces.
Separately, officials in Ukraine's eastern regions of Donetsk and Kharkiv said two civilians had been killed in overnight Russian attacks.
- In:
- War
- Ukraine
- Russia
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Poet Maggie Smith talks going viral and being confused with that OTHER Maggie Smith
- Pope greeted like rockstar, appears revitalized at 'Catholic Woodstock' in Portugal
- Pakistani police arrest former Prime Minister Imran Khan
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Black bear shot and killed by Montana man in his living room after break-in
- Heat and wildfires put southern Europe’s vital tourism earnings at risk
- New York Activists Descend on the Hamptons to Protest the Super Rich Fueling the Climate Crisis
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- 11 hurt when school bus carrying YMCA campers crashes in Idaho
Ranking
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Beyoncé, Spike Lee pay tribute to O'Shae Sibley, stabbed while dancing: 'Rest in power'
- Police search for 17-year-old California girl missing for a month
- Niger’s junta rulers ask for help from Russian group Wagner as it faces military intervention threat
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Build the Perfect Capsule Wardrobe With 83% Off Deals From J.Crew
- Ukrainians move to North Dakota for oil field jobs to help families facing war back home
- Big 12 furthers expansion by adding Arizona, Arizona State and Utah from crumbling Pac-12
Recommendation
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Riley Keough Officially Becomes New Owner of Graceland and Sole Heir of Lisa Marie Presley’s Estate
Big 12 furthers expansion by adding Arizona, Arizona State and Utah from crumbling Pac-12
The world inches closer to feared global warming 'tipping points': 5 disastrous scenarios
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
Chicago police shoot, critically wound man who opened fire on officers during foot chase
Vivek Ramaswamy, the youngest GOP presidential candidate, wants civics tests for young voters 18 to 24
Cyberattack causes multiple hospitals to shut emergency rooms and divert ambulances